Brain fog is something we’ve all experienced at one point or another.
Why does my head feel foggy?
Occasionally, people may mistake a feeling of pressure in their head if their head feels light. That feeling of being foggy headed, a groggy, listless feeling usually results in:
- Poor memory and recall
- Inability to think clearly or focus
- Lack of concentration
Brain fog can interfere with your everyday life, but usually isn’t an issue unless it becomes chronic. Identifying what is causing the brain fog goes a long way to improving it.
What are the causes of brain fog?
- Lack of sleep – if you’re not getting great sleep at night your brain is not able to clear out the day’s “junk” and reset. Sleeping too little or not getting good quality sleep can be a clear cause of brain fog. To learn more about the importance of getting good, deep sleep read our blog on the sleep detox HERE.
- Stress – Chronic levels of stress can cause mental fatigue. When your brain gets tired because it’s been dealing with stressful situations for too long you can feel tired, and find it harder to focus, think, reason and concentrate.
- Diet – Your diet plays a key role in how your brain feels. To learn more about this, read our blog on the gut/brain connection HERE. If you’re not getting the right nutrients for your body or are eating foods that your body is sensitive or allergic to, brain fog can be a consequence.
- Medications – some medications can result in brain fog as a side effect. If this is the case for you, check with your doctor about alternatives.
- Smoking – Some people believe smoking helps them concentrate but science knows differently. Studies have shown that smokers are more likely to suffer from brain fog and fatigue because smoking reduces the amount of oxygen reaching the brain and shrinks the cortex that surrounds the brain.
- Medical conditions – Most of the time brain fog is a benign condition. However, if you find that you’re in general good health and are taking care of yourself and still have brain fog you should consult your doctor to see if there are any underlying causes such as hypothyroidism or Alzheimer’s.
How to get rid of head fogginess?
Don’t worry though. There are easy, natural remedies you can try to get rid of that fuzzy head fogginess feeling:
- Get more sleep. Sounds easy enough but most people are not getting enough sleep and the sleep they’re getting is not good quality sleep. Ensuring you are getting proper amounts and quality of sleep will go a long way to eliminating brain fog. To get a good night’s sleep get good exercise during the day, don’t eat too late in the evening and try to go to bed at a reasonable hour. Using BrainTap on a regular basis helps prepare your mind for deep, restful sleep by balancing the brain.
- Reduce Stress. When we’re constantly stressed our brains don’t have a chance to relax and reboot. Reducing our stress is key to reducing brain fog. Try deep breathing, relaxation exercises, and meditation to help reduce stress. BrainTap is a great tool for stress reduction as well. Meditation is proven to decrease blood pressure and reduce stress and BrainTap provides enhanced meditation with very little effort on the user’s part.
- Get Healthy. You don’t need specific supplements for focus or a brain fog supplement. If you are a smoker, try to reduce or eliminate the smoking habit. If you have poor eating habits or consume large amounts of sugar, try to take small steps to improve your diet. Increasing your intake of Vitamin B-12 has been shown to promote healthy brain function. Try to avoid or reduce foods that can cause allergic reactions such as MSG, aspartame, dairy and grains.
- Get Moving. Exercise not only builds up muscles and improves our cardiovascular system, but it also benefits your brain. It can help improve sleep patterns and quality, enhances memory and reduces anxiety and stress, which are all triggers for brain fog.
If you’re feeling fuzzy headed, you’re not alone. We’ve all had days when we felt as though we’re not operating at full capacity. Taking steps to eliminate the causes of that fuzzy feeling in your head will soon have you living a life of clarity and focus, easily and naturally, and BrainTap is here to help.