High performers are constantly looking for ways to improve their skills and up their game. Whether you are looking to better your sport, career or artistic ability, you understand the need to prioritize health and wellness in life. This includes working into your wellness routine a focus on both physical fitness and brain fitness.
The Rise of the Wellness IndustryIn 2020, the health and wellness market reached a value of over $3 billion. It’s clear that people are becoming increasingly concerned about their health. Many are looking for new ways to work a wellness routine into their lives. The physical wellness industry includes personal care and beauty, nutrition, exercise and beyond. More people are investing in gym memberships and at-home gyms to strengthen their bodies and build greater stamina. But what about health and wellness—for the brain?
What is Brain Fitness?Brain fitness is the unification of both brain and mental health that helps you feel fit for the responsibilities and expectations of life. Similar to physical fitness, brain fitness requires variety. Any trainer will tell you to create a workout routine that allows for variety and growth. Your body needs new challenges to see the greatest results. The same goes for your brain. The brain needs exercises that include variety—and fun! Prioritizing both body and brain fitness will help performers work at their peak.
Implementing Brain Fitness for Peak PerformanceWhat are some ways to exercise your brain to reach peak brain fitness? Here are 5 ways to strengthen your mental stamina:
- Play games. Not only challenging but fun! Games are a great way to keep your mind hard at work while still having a good time. Specifically, games like crossword puzzles and memory games can help build brain fitness. It’s recommended to spend about 15 minutes a day on these games.
- Eat good food. Your brain needs nutrition to function at its best. Healthy fats in particular help the brain strengthen its overall fitness. These healthy fats include fish oils, nuts, seeds and olive oil.
- Become a student. Learning something new is a good way to train your brain to make new connections. Additionally, learning a new skill works out various parts of your brain at the same time. So take that cooking class or master a new language!
- Practice mindfulness. There are many different ways to practice mindfulness. Meditation is a powerful technique to strengthen your brain’s overall fitness. It helps your brain experience different states, allowing you to focus on relaxation and mental stamina.
- Train your brain. Of course, there are many ways to practice actual brain training. BrainTap’s enhanced meditations help reset your brain’s natural balance so you can feel rested and rejuvenated to perform at your best. Brain training includes focusing on memory, reasoning, visualization and more.